Saturday, November 11, 2006

saturday stuff, part iv

So, I was assembling stocking contents when Ted came home from work. While the chicken pot pies cooked, I arranged a few more items, then joined Ted downstairs for lunch. We caught up on some TiVo, and for the second time in a week, Oprah drove me to blog. There are two reasons for that. First is the amazing premise of the show, and second is the fact that it proves my earlier claim that she embodies contradiction.

Let's skip over that second bit, and focus on what's important. The concept of Challenge Day engaged me immediately. Early into the show, it made me think of my company's Diversity Council (of which I am currently Vice Chair and will become Chair shortly). The lessons that can be learned through this type of exercise could have huge implications not only on employee relations but to the success of the business. The program wasn't designed for a corporate environment. Jane Elliott's exercise, though not originally created specifically for the corporate world, is probably more suited to that. But the idea of having a cross section of employees participate in Challenge Day is infinitely appealing to me.

Irrespective of that notion, I do think the program should be utilized by every high school in America. Every year. Forever. Oprah was right -- this is the kind of thing that changes the world one person at a time.

~~~
Did some music importing while writing this entry and folding laundry (I can multi-task). Song count is now 5658. Back to stocking assembly for me.

"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" by Harry Connick, Jr. (could be called a cover song, but is more one of many interpretations of a classic)

No comments: