Thursday, November 24, 2005

thanksgiving day, part 4

Man, these stockings are killin' me! But I'm betting it's less pain than that endured by the people who were underneath the street light that broke off during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. How terrible for them. A bit of a damper for the viewing audience. It's tough to be filled with holiday spirit when something like that happens.

So, I focus on my list.

  • Finish assembling stockings and pack up by family (almost done)
  • Investigate how to cook turkey (Explanation below)
  • Watch Macy's parade
  • Blog
I just have to add the candy to about half of the stockings and wrap them up, and I'll be done. Seriously, my back hurts from this assembly line work. It gives me a tremendous appreciation for people who work 40 hours a week on an assembly line. I don't know how they do it.

OK, so I've never actually cooked a turkey myself in my life. There have only been about three occasions where I was called upon to make Thanksgiving dinner, and in each case, I resorted to a turkey breast. This year, we ended up with a half turkey on the ribs. It can be stuffed and everything! More complicated than I want to get. So, I had to read the instructions that came with it to see what type of preparation I have to do, and how long it will take to cook. I'm all set now.

I am thankful to Butterball for making turkey cooking easy. For a job that doesn't require me to stand on my feet all week assembling components over and over. For the phone call I just got from Ted saying that he's coming home from work now... a few hours earlier than expected! For watching giant balloons from the safety of my own home. For Brian Setzer who just has too much fun making music, especially the Christmas kind. For the sunshine intermittently shining on a day that started snowy and cold and blustery. For the fact that my parents, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews are all with other members of their families to enjoy the festivities.

Must finish the stockings before Ted gets home. We can have lunch together. I'm thankful for that!

No comments: