Sunday, February 28, 2010

traitor

I am an American, born and raised. I married a Canadian, born, lived the first few years, then moved to America by his parents. He loves America and knows more about its history and government than most Americans I know. But he remains true to his native country, and has not (and I suspect, will not) relinquished his citizenship.

He's also a sports fan -- particularly of those sports which are integral to Canada. So, last night, when Team Canada won Olympic gold in Men's Curling, he was so excited. I was not only excited for my husband, but also for Canada to win on their home ice.

Tonight, Team Canada did it again! In a great game, they beat the U.S. in Men's Ice Hockey. I was at the store with Ted when the overtime goal was shot, and the look of thrill and pride on his face was priceless. Again, I find myself rooting for Canada, and for the same two reasons. The big difference this time is that they beat my homeland to get gold. Does that make me a traitor? No! It just means that I love my husband, and I'm happy for him.

No comments: