Saturday, March 19, 2005

thirteen days since

I haven't blogged since the 5th. I have barely breathed since then. I have prepared for, run, and followed up on a major corporate conference. The upside? A tremendous outpouring of positive feedback. The downside? No life. And the subsequent illness that stopped me in my tracks yesterday. A couple 80-hour work weeks will inevitably lead to one day of complete nothingness, although it would have been better had it not fallen on a Friday.

But I'm back. In my office (that is, my space at the company headquarters), working on a Saturday morning. I'd like for things to calm down a bit, now that the massive effort of last week's conference is behind me. But, alas, it is not calm. And I don't have the time to bemoan it in my journals, public or private. I just wanted to drop in, and note a weird coincidence.

I haven't watched the news in the last few weeks. Read the paper. Listened to NPR. Heck, I didn't even check the forecast. I've been a work hermit. So, I don't know what's been going on in the world. That said, here's my weird little story.

As I was driving into work this morning, I passed this house. It's a nice house, cedar shingled, the kind that populates Northeastern sea shores (although this one is about a mile from Long Island Sound). Years ago, when I first starting driving by this house, I had the crazy idea in my head that it belonged to Rosie O'Donnell. Other than the fact that I knew she owned a house in the same town, I'm not sure why I thought that this particular house was hers. At the time, she was very much in the spotlight with her show and magazine and celebrityness. Of course, I doubted that she would live in this particular house, given its ease of access (I imagine her actual dwelling to be a bit more remote and secure than this house plunked down right in the middle of a fairly dense neighborhood). Despite the rationale, and even though I know it's not hers, I still associate this house with Rosie O'Donnell.

So, it had been a while since I took the road on which this house sits, and consequently I hadn't thought of Rosie O'Donnell recently. Today, I took the route and did. I thought, "it's been a long time since I've heard anything about Rosie O'Donnell. I heard that she married her partner in San Francisco last year, but other than that, it's been quiet. She must have retreated into family life and out of the limelight." Really. I put that much thought into it, just driving past this house. My brain is fried (see previous reference to 80-hour work weeks).

When I got to the office (and after piling through some email accumulation), I flipped through some of the old news in my mailbox. Lo and behold, there was an article about Rosie O'Donnell, blasting Kirstie Alley for lying about her weight. I find this funny on so many levels, but I won't go into that now. Anyway, in the process of reading the article, I discovered that Rosie is a Blogger! Contrary to my little thought process this morning, Rosie's not completely out of the public eye. And I think it's kinda' cool that she's using the same tool I am to rant and rave about stuff... even if she gets more comments on one post than I get traffic in five months! :-) Blog on, RO!

No comments: