Thursday, March 04, 2010

you're only a day away


For only the second time since starting my current job 18 months ago, production will commence for a new customer. Tomorrow, my company will be making 10,000 jars of premium goodness for a different company to sell under its own name. That is my job. I sell my company's goods and manufacturing capabilities so that other companies can have delicious specialty foods with their own brand on them. It's called "private label."

I've been working madly for 18 months to build the business. In that time, I've only signed on two new customers. And, as of last week, my largest existing customer officially discontinued the last of the items we were making for them.

There are a lot of other projects that are in the hopper now, getting hotter by the day. I just need one big customer to approve one item, and it will make a huge difference. Of course, what I really want is for all of the customers in the hopper, big and small, to give the go-ahead, so that I can inundate my poor R&D, production, and distribution teams with too much to do. Let's make 'em all sweat!

No comments: