Sunday, February 03, 2008

ya' hafta' try

I've been to many concerts where the "Superstar" phenomenon takes hold of me and won't let go. Do you know of this phenomenon? It was explained by the Carpenters in the song of the same name. The sheer talent of a person wholly compensates for any lack of physical attraction one might have for the artist.

The most striking example of this for me was seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan from the third row at the Portland City Hall Auditorium in November 1989. Having been a fan of his music for a few years at that point, and not finding him particularly easy on the eyes (although he always seemed to be sharply dressed), I was a little stunned at the level of enchantment that blossomed in two short hours. I fell trulymadlydeeply in love with SRV that night. Talent oozed from every fiber of his being, and I was rapt. It's happened many times with other musicians since then -- almost always in small venues where I'm breathing their air, looking them in the eye. But never to the extent it did with Stevie Ray. I still love him. ::sigh::

Given that, it's easy to understand why Julia Roberts fell for Lyle Lovett. Listen to this song.* Seriously. It came on my iPod the other day (which, by the way, is a great way to listen to it), and reminded me of how incredible Mr. Lovett is. In the way that shuffle randomly removes some music from the docket of things I'm currently listening to, it sometimes randomly draws me into (or back into) wonderful territory. Now, I'm listening to nothing but Lyle Lovett for a while.

That's all I wanted to say for now. I'll be back later.

* For some reason, this video has embedding disabled. So you must click the link to view it.

No comments: